Friday, June 27, 2008

Who Cries More.....Mom or Baby??

A few peaceful moments...


For the first 2 weeks our Baby Hendrix slept 24/7...then all of the sudden that changed. We took him to the Pediatrician on Sunday to make sure there wasn't something we were missing....Diagnosis??....Colic. I always thought colic was just a term parents give to babies who cry all the time and are fussy but I am learning it is much more than that. Their poor tummys really hurt and they are uncomfortable. I have been doing a lot of reading and found some tips for making him comfortable. I have been using Gripe Water ( which works wonders) and I have about 4 different types of baby slings/carriers to tote him around in beacuse he loves to be held....all of the time. I eliminated diet coke and a few other foods from my diet that were making him more irritable. Anyone else with a "colicky" baby? Tips? Suggestions?

I walked in my room to find Gavin and Collin trying to console Hendrix by picking him up and holding him...(yikes) They actually did really good and had his head semi supported

12 comments:

Jenna G said...

jan! he is so cute! i am so sad that i haven't even been able to meet my nephew!! it's not fair! but he looks beautiful and i miss you so much!! love you!!

The Trotter Family said...

I totally went through that. I had post partem for the first week and then a week later Brooklyn got colicky. The gripe water helped. I have been curling her legs up and it helps her get the gas out. Being in a warm bath helps too. Chad gave her a blessing and that was the biggest help! She is doing great now. Hope it passes soon!

SUMMER said...

Welcome to my reason for only wanting 3 kids! Both of my girls had Colic for the first 6 months! It is VERY hard but know that you will get through it soon! One thing that helped both my girls was the tight swaddling but other than that... nothing really! I have heard great things about that gripe water. If my 3rd has it too (which I hope is not the case) I will need to invest in some of that!

The six of us! said...

Oh sweet baby Hendrix, so cute but poor little tummy. Have you tried to bicycle his legs? That sometimes helped with Carl. And that gripe water does give some relief. I am just down the street so let me know when you need some relief, it is a hard thing to get through for both of you.

Melvin and Carly said...

Oh Janice! I can completely empathize. Audrey had colic. It's a good thing she was our first baby because pretty much the only thing that helped with the crying was holding her. All day. Every day. While I cried too because I didn't know what else to do. Hope you find some more things that help and if I can do anything for you, please let me know. He sure is cute though!

Kim said...

My Jan!
You are now a member of a whole new group. I think we should start something like AA, but for mom's with fussy babies. You know, a support group to keep you sane. Bailey cried for 9 months! Neither of my others did, so I was shocked. I don't know if it's always the belly thing. I will have to email you all of my thoughts and tricks. Hang in there Girl!

Danielle said...

Hey Janice...you poor thing! Hang in there. Fortunately, I have no experience in this department (yet!!). He is absolutely adorable though!! Hopefully it won't last long. You're in my thoughts:)

Anonymous said...

They say 1 in 4 babies is colicky- crazy I know! Poor little guy! Heard the gripe water works- they have colic tablets at Whole Foods- just a thought!? Amby baby (swing/bed) seemed to help my friends colicky baby! There is a website- check it out at www.ambybaby.com

Oh hang in there Janice!

Anonymous said...

Oh and if you have an exercise ball- cradle him and bounce on the ball- works wonders whenever Daegan cries, and usually puts him to sleep within seconds.

Jennifer said...

Hugs for Janice! I think the most important phrase a mom can know is "This too shall pass". Whatever your kids are up to that challenges you, it does eventually pass. But lots of hugs for you until then. Make sure you take some time for you and are getting some alone time too! He may be fussy, but he sure is darling!

Chelsea said...

HI Janice- Chelsea (Bridges) here. Your baby and his name are so cute. Where did you find all of your cute black and white bedding?

Karen and Joe said...

Hey Janice- just thinking about you! Hope things are getting better with the reflux! Oh I know what you are going through for sure! I'm here for you when you need to vent or advice!! Love ya